EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: INFO CENTRE COORDINATOR
Shark Spotters is a pioneering safety and research organisation whose vision is the sustainable coexistence of people and sharks. Shark Spotters improves beach safety through innovative and responsible safety solutions that reduce the risk of shark bite. We also conduct cutting edge applied research on shark behavior and ecology, raise awareness about shark safety and conservation issues, and provide employment opportunities and skills development for shark spotters.
The Shark Spotters Info Centre at Surfers Corner, Muizenberg, opened in November 2014 and serves as the headquarters for the Shark Spotters program, as well as a space where members of the public can learn about the program, shark safety and ocean conservation in general. We are looking for a vibrant, dynamic individual to join our team in the position of Info Centre Coordinator, to assist with managing and developing the info centre into an interactive space which is attractive and engaging to the public, as well as assisting with and implementing various fundraising and outreach activities.
- Facilitate day to day running of the Shark Spotters Information Centre and office
- Development of educational and resource materials – converting science and safety information into a format easily accessible by the public
- Environmental education in the field, at the information centre and community liaison
- Develop and coordinate a local database of volunteers to increase capacity and assist with outreach/fundraising activities
- Manage and further develop merchandise activities for the program including stock take, ordering, sales, marketing etc
- Provide general administrative support to the program
- Assist with communication and promotion of program activities in written and oral formats
- Monitor and keep track of media impact of Shark Spotters
- Coordinate and facilitate fundraising events and activities, working towards specific targets and fundraising goals
- Assist management with day to day program operations and the coordination of Shark Spotting training events
- Tertiary qualification in related field
- Passion for marine biology/conservation/sharks
- Excellent English communication, written and oral skills
- Advanced computer literacy including Microsoft Office
- Good networking and people skills
- Excellent planning, coordination and facilitation skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Social sensitivity – ability to work cross-culturally
- Driving licence (Code B) with own car
- Experience in environmental education/communication
- Experience in stock control and merchandise management
- Design skills and knowledge of design software (Adobe InDesign/Illustrator)
- Fundraising experience
Remuneration: Starting salary is R8,500 per month, with the possibility of an increase following a successful probation period, depending on skills and experience.
Application deadline: Friday 20 May 2016 at 17h00. If you are not contacted within 21 days your application has been unsuccessful.
Start date: Monday 13 June 2016. This is a 1-year contract position which will be offered to the successful applicant on completion of a 90-day probation period.
To apply: send a detailed (max. 3pg) CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants MUST include 3 contactable references and a covering letter explaining how you fit the abovementioned criteria and why you wish to join the Shark Spotters team.