As we continually strive to remain relevant in this fast-paced world, our organization is constantly surprised at the misconceptions that people have about our oceans and the fear they have of sharks.
With the threat of changing climate impacting our ecosystems, the need for fact based communication about the resulting conservation issues is even more important. It is to this end that Shark Spotters has decided to initiate its very own volunteer program.
The goals of the volunteer program are to build a base of dedicated and passionate individuals who can assist with:
- Monthly awareness campaigns and fund-raising initiatives in the public arena.
- Assist our spotters on busy weekends in the Muizenberg Information centre by providing information to interested visitors and assist in selling merchandise.
- Provide a supportive role to our education manager at schools and educational events.
- Become ambassadors of the program
Specific benefits of volunteering at Shark Spotters include:
- The opportunity to work closely with and contribute to a unique public benefit organization that is relevant and necessary in the global conservation environment.
- Be the first to respond to the presence of sharks in a water use area and support our spotters in communicating to water users during busy times.
- Contribute to your community by creating awareness of marine conservation and challenge people’s stereotypes surrounding sharks.
We have identified some key positions. If any of them are of interest to you, please let us know.
- Fundraising volunteers
Conduct monthly/ bi-monthly funding drives. These could include, but are not limited to going to shopping malls and requesting signups for MySchool/ SMS line, selling merchandise, doing tin shaking in parking lots during events etc.
Time commitment: A few hours every month during weekends
- Info Center assistants
Assist spotters on weekends during season with tourists needs (e.g.: selling merchandise, answering questions, etc.)
During high visitor times. We would also like these volunteers to come in to assist the info centre manager with her duties (e.g.: stock take, event preparations etc.).
Time commitment: 10am to 3pm on specific days.
- Education Volunteers
To assist Nicole during education events. Responsibilities include communicating with children, helping with games, working with Nicole. This person could grow to work independently, e.g.: to give presentations to old age homes/ schools etc.
Time Commitment: highly dependent on Nicole’s/ Shark Spotters needs
Initially, when volunteers sign up, we will request a donation of R100 to cover the cost of their T-shirt.
If any of the above positions are of interest to you, please send through (firstname.lastname@example.org) a 1 page CV and a brief cover letter outlining why you feel you would be suited to volunteering with us.
We look forward to hearing from you!