VACANCY – EDUCATION COORDINATOR
Application deadline: 9 October 2020 – 5pm
Shark Spotters is looking for a dynamic, enthusiastic, and creative individual to drive its environmental education programme in Cape Town. The Education Coordinator will report to the CEO and be an integral part of the dedicated team that runs this community conservation initiative. The ideal candidate will be equally as happy digging in the sand with a group of children as they are behind a computer writing lesson plans, reports or proposals.
- Develop, implement and coordinate the beach safety and marine conservation education programme.
- Develop and disseminate educational and resource materials including lesson plans and activities– converting science and safety information into a format easily accessible by the public.
- Align education activities with current curriculum guidelines and develop partnerships with schools and other education facilities for implementation.
- Conduct environmental outreach activities at schools, in the field, at the Information Centre and elsewhere.
- Enhance online education opportunities through social media, website/blog and video platforms.
- Implement a monitoring and evaluation framework to assess the impact of the programme’s educational activities.
- Work together with the CEO to source funding for further development and implementation of the education programme.
- Develop and coordinate a database of volunteers/education assistants to increase capacity and reach of the education programme.
- Establish and foster collaborations and partnerships with other environmental education organisations, schools and tertiary institutions, funders and other stakeholders to maximise reach and impact.
- Assist with the day to day running of the Shark Spotters Info Centre – creating a welcoming and engaging public interactive space.
- Assist with spotter training and skills development activities
- Contribute to the communication and promotion of Shark Spotters activities in written and oral formats including monthly and annual reports and social media.
- Assist with fundraising activities.
- General administrative tasks
- Tertiary qualification in related field –Conservation or Education.
- Previous experience in environmental education programme development, coordination and delivery in either formal or informal learning environments.
- Working knowledge of the South African public education system and current pedagogies.
- Passion for teaching and learning as well as marine biology and conservation.
- Strong initiative and imagination in the development and creation of programming.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Fluency in English and a good working knowledge of Afrikaans and/or Xhosa.
- Advanced computer literacy including Microsoft Office.
- Friendly, energetic and welcoming nature with good networking skills.
- Excellent planning, coordination and facilitation skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as to collaborate and contribute as an integral part of a small dynamic team.
- Social sensitivity – ability to work cross-culturally.
- Prepared to work flexible hours including some weekends when needed.
- Driving licence (Code B) with own car.
- Design skills and knowledge of design software
- Social media management
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation practices
Remuneration: Based on qualifications and experience.
Contract period: The successful candidate will start in November 2020. This is a 12 month contract position (with a three month probationary period) but may be renewed subject to operational requirements and funding availability.
Please note: A skills test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
Application deadline: Friday 9 October 2020 at 17h00. If you are not contacted within 14 days of the deadline please consider your application as unsuccessful. Shark Spotters reserves the right not to make an appointment to the post as advertised.
To apply: send a detailed (max. 3pg) CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants MUST include 3 contactable references and a motivation letter explaining how you fit the abovementioned criteria.
About Shark Spotters: Shark Spotters vision is the sustainable coexistence of people and sharks. Shark Spotters improves beach safety through innovative and responsible safety solutions that reduce the risk of shark bite. We also conduct cutting edge applied research on shark behavior and ecology, raise awareness about shark safety and conservation issues, and provide employment opportunities and skills development for shark spotters.