VACANCY – FIELD ASSISTANT
Application deadline: 18 January 2019 – 5pm
Shark Spotters is looking for a flexible, diligent and methodical field assistant to collect data for a new project assessing the key variables that affect a shark spotter’s ability to detect sharks in the inshore zone, in partnership with the Institute for Communities and Wildlife, University of Cape Town and Department of Science and Technology/Eurostars programme.
Field work includes working outdoors on the mountain for extended period of times as well as on a small boat. Candidates will need to be comfortable working in the elements with limited amenities.
This is a great opportunity for a young graduate to gain valuable field experience working on a novel and exciting project with a vibrant and enthusiastic team.
- Preparation and maintenance of equipment required for experiments
- Coordination of work schedule in accordance with weather/field conditions
- Coordination of in-field team for data collection
- Accurate collection and recording of data from field trials
- Data entry
- Communication and liaison with the public and beach stakeholders
- Minimum BSc or similar qualification
- Demonstratable experience of data collection in the field
- Computer literacy
- Own transport essential
- Highly organized and efficient
- Afrikaans speaking an advantage
- Flexible and adaptable
- Social sensitivity – ability to work cross-culturally
- A passion for the ocean and sharks an advantage!
Contract period: The successful candidate must start as soon as possible. The minimum contract period will be 6 months, from 1 February to 31 July 2019.
Hours and location of work: This is a part time position, however candidates will need to have flexible availability as the hours will be dependent upon weather/field conditions and may include weekends and public holidays where necessary. Field work will be based in Fish Hoek and Muizenberg, Cape Town.
Remuneration: Dependent on qualifications and in line with standard University of Cape Town remuneration rates for research assistants.
Application deadline: Friday 18th January at 17h00. If you are not contacted within 7 days of the deadline your application has been unsuccessful.
To apply: send a detailed (max. 3pg) CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants MUST include 3 contactable references and a covering letter explaining how you fit the abovementioned criteria.
About Shark Spotters: Shark Spotters is a pioneering safety and research organisation whose vision is the sustainable coexistence of people and sharks. Shark Spotters improves beach safety through innovative and responsible safety solutions that reduce the risk of shark bite. We also conduct cutting edge applied research on shark behavior and ecology, raise awareness about shark safety and conservation issues, and provide employment opportunities and skills development for shark spotters.